Friday, June 18, 2010

Run for a Cure

Running.
There are so many people out in the world that run. One may run to lose weight. Another runs to be with friends while some just do it for pure enjoyment. Yes, I may run for some of those reasons but there is one thing that keeps me going. One thing that males me want to get through tough courses and the pain when running up hills. Its hope. Its hope for a cure. Every day I run with one thing in the back of my mind- my dad. When I was 3 years old, my dad was diagnosed with Retinitis Pigmentosa and Macular Degeneration. Both are hereditary retinal eye diseases that have caused my dad to be legally blind. He immediately couldn't drive anymore and his life changed. My dad found hope in running too. He sat on the couch and became so inspired by the IronMan World Triathalon in Kona, Hawaii, that he started training for triathalons. The IronMan consists of a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike followed by a 26.2 run. Is this completed over the course of a week? No. It is all in one day and there is time cutoffs for each leg of the race. 7 years later, he completed his dream, a dream that seemed impossible on October 15, 2004. He crossed the finish line throwing his right hand towards God, showing that through Him, anything is possible. My dad then went on to become the first legally blind athlete to complete 3 IronMan World Championships in 2008. My dad ran to give himself hope that he could get through anything. My reason why I am running is for many people out there who are struggling with retinal diseases like my dad. I run for Him, I run for God, and I run for all those people who are full of hope that one day there will be a cure in sight.

No comments: